BAU held an Ethical Hacking Workshop on Monday, October 10, 2023. This workshop helped the ELEGANT project supported by ERASMUS+. Mr. Majd Dhainy and Mr. Ali Ayoub from Semicolon Academy led the workshop, which aimed to teach participants the fundamentals of ethical hacking.
The workshop kicked off with an engaging introductory presentation delivered by Mr. Majd Dhainy and Mr. Ali Ayoub. They covered a wide range of topics related to ethical hacking, including but not limited to:
Proxy Tools: Participants gained insights into the use of proxy tools for intercepting and analyzing network traffic, a fundamental skill for ethical hackers.
- Requests: Understanding how HTTP requests work, including the various request methods, headers, and their significance in ethical hacking scenarios.
- Web Fundamentals: An exploration of web-related concepts, such as HTTP, HTTPS, web servers, and how they play a crucial role in ethical hacking practices.
- The presentation covered all the important theoretical aspects of ethical hacking. This matches the ELEGANT project's aim of spreading knowledge about digital skills and cybersecurity.
The workshop didn't stop at theory; it included hands-on practical exercises designed to reinforce the knowledge gained. Participants actively engaged in two exercises:
- Vulnerability Detection: Participants were guided through the process of identifying vulnerabilities in test websites. This practical exercise allowed them to apply the theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios, enhancing their problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Malicious Attacks Demonstration: In a controlled environment, participants had the opportunity to carry out controlled malicious attacks. This exercise not only demonstrated the potential consequences of cybersecurity vulnerabilities but also emphasized the importance of ethical hacking practices for securing digital assets.
Alignment with ELEGANT Project Goals
The Ethical Hacking Workshop perfectly matches the main goals of the ELEGANT project, which is supported by ERASMUS+. The project wants to improve people's digital skills, raise awareness about cybersecurity, and encourage responsible and ethical use of technology. The workshop directly helps with these goals in the following ways:
- Digital Literacy: By providing participants with a deep understanding of web fundamentals and hacking tools, the workshop enhances digital literacy, empowering individuals to navigate the digital landscape with confidence.
- Cybersecurity Awareness: The workshop instills cybersecurity awareness by demonstrating the importance of identifying vulnerabilities and mitigating potential threats, aligning with the ELEGANT project's emphasis on a safer online environment.
- Ethical Use of Technology: Through ethical hacking exercises, participants learn the responsible and ethical application of cybersecurity knowledge, reinforcing the ELEGANT project's commitment to ethical technology use.
The Ethical Hacking Workshop gave participants important skills and knowledge, and it also helped the ELEGANT project's larger goals supported by ERASMUS+. This event emphasized how crucial digital literacy, cybersecurity, and ethical technology use are in our digital society. It's a model for future efforts to promote cybersecurity and responsible digital behavior.