The University library administration constantly endeavors to achieve Beirut Arab University’s vision of supporting education and research by providing various information sources that fulfill the needs of users. In addition, the administration strives to supply information through international collaborative sources and networks. It also takes interest in developing human resources to accomplish anticipated future objectives.
The Library’s vision at Beirut Arab University is to enhance and develop library services in line with the University strategy of providing quality education and research, to follow up with technological developments to provide international e-service standards, and to support e-learning to enable libraries to become an educational center for users of the University and its community.
a- Short-term Future plans (from 2020-2023)
- Increasing the collection development of online databases, open access resources, and print collection.
- Applying the concept of open educational resources (OER: open courses provided by international universities), to support course materials for academic staff.
- Launching the digital repository ( theses ,BAU memo photos, rarebooks, and manuscript) on the library webpage.
b- long term Future plans
Initiating the concept of smart library through:
smartphone applications : through being a part of the university ,mobile application, so that students and academic staff can reach library services and collection through a section in the university mobile application.
- Big data: through doing data analytics of the students and BAU library data. For example: relating between students grades and their entrance to the library, and doing analysis of the library Facebook page in case there is a Facebook for the library, this will enable students to express their opinion regarding BAU library which will help us in improving our services.
- Cloud computing: it was already started through having “koha” integrated library systems in which all library work procedures are automated , in addition to “D-space” digital repository systems in which BAU memory photos, Rare books and manuscripts are digitized. BAU libraries will also be working on more cloud computing services.
- Artificial intelligence:
Though biometric recognition, for example: eye sensors on the library gates, which facilitate users’ entrances.
- The smart eyeglasses that enable BAU Library users to watch a virtual tour of the library through it.
- In addition to “remote light sensor control” which help to conserve light energy.
- Internet of things: through applying the RFID technology “” Radio Frequency Identification” for example the security gates we already have in 3 libraries. We are also working on applying other aspect of internet of things in our services.
- Bib Frame Standards :The Library of the American Congress launched in 2011 a BIBFRAME, which means the Bibliographic Framework. The initiative aimed for bringing a comprehensive and drastic change in the structure of bibliographic registers and formation where it consists of two models, the first is a cognitive model through it the cataloguing data can integrate with cognitive entities in a web environment, and the second is the descriptive model which will be an alternative to Mark form.